We will be happy to advise you of your rights and entitlements. It is important to note that you need to act fast where you have been involved in an accident. Accordingly you should contact McInerney Solicitors early on.*
You should keep all relevant receipts relating to your out of pocket expenses. This can and should include doctor’s visits, medicines, travel, etc.
If you are involved in a Road Traffic Accident
Make sure you obtain :
- Details of all vehicle registrations involved.
- The name of the investigating Garda.
- Details of the driver’s insurance company and policy number.
- Name, addresses and contact telephone numbers of any witnesses.
- Take photographs at the scene if you can.
- Record everything you can about the accident by putting an account in writing. This should include your recollection of what happened including reference to road and traffic conditions etc.
- Visit your doctor if you think you may have suffered any injury.
It is important to be aware that in accordance with Section 8 of the Civil Liability & Courts Act, 2004, an initial letter of claim must be issued to a respondent within two months of the date of the cause of action or as soon as is practicable.
Thereafter it may be necessary to make an application to the Injuries Board to commence the claim. We recommend that you avail of our services and obtain legal advice as it is important to identify all potential respondents as soon as possible.
You should be aware of and mindful of the strict 2 year time limit applicable to any claim for damages for personal injuries arising from an act of negligence.
Should you wish to have a confidential consultation regarding your circumstances and the possibilities open to you, please do not hesitate to contact McInerney Solicitors.